Doof Clenas Forum & Collective

Go Back   The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective > Tech Talk > Accessories
CHALLENGE COINS, PATCHES, TIMER COVERS, HATS, T-SHIRTS IN STOCK NOW - Click on the "Doof Wares" link on the menu bar... ------------------------------ Current Homeland Diaper Rash Level: Light Pink - Chafed, yet faintly amusing ------------------------------ Lady G's Doofishul Theme for August is: Redheads ------------------------------ LISTEN TO OUR NOT QUITE FINISHED THEME SONG... CLICK HERE!... THANKS, BUZZ!!!!

Accessories Horns, Pegs, Guards, MP3, Sat. Radio, GPS, etc.

Old 01-04-2011, 08:16 AM
Breaker of Stuff

Last Cigar Smoked: 601 La Bomba
Bone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
12 volt power point

I'd like to be able to charge my phone while I'm using it for GPS and tunes while on Vader. I'm thinking my best option is something bar-mounted, as I don't think there's enough room to stick one on the side of the console (though it would look much cleaner there).

All I'm seeing for bar-mounted stuff is the bullet-shaped Kury one, which is chrome only (have to paint it). Any other options?

Make Doof Clenas Fun Again (MDCFA)

Old 01-04-2011, 08:21 AM
Original Delinquent

Backroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milk

Kimber

Old 01-04-2011, 08:38 AM
The Other Founder
President for Life
Double-D

Last Cigar Smoked: PDR 1878 Reserva Dominicana Capa Oscura
MegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glasses
Think outside the box.
You can cleanly change the "cigar lighter" plug on your charger to a nice connector that will fit a smaller socket if you don't mind sacrificing a charger...

http://sherlynpopelka.net/

Revelation 19:11
And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse;
and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True,
and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

*Usual manly disclaimer applies, if applicable.
Old 01-04-2011, 08:49 AM
Breaker of Stuff

Bone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaGlide View Post
Think outside the box.
You can cleanly change the "cigar lighter" plug on your charger to a nice connector that will fit a smaller socket if you don't mind sacrificing a charger...
I have one of those?

Old 01-04-2011, 08:52 AM
The Other Founder
President for Life
Double-D

MegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glasses
No, but it you want cleanliness.
I'm making a lot of work and expense for you here...

Old 01-04-2011, 08:54 AM
along came Blondie......

BigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sock
Or get a sacrificial phone cord and hard wire it to the bike. Snip the cigarette lighter plug off the end. Use an inline fuse for protection.

2009 Vivid Black Street Glide Ultra

RIP Diver, Bashful, Smitty, Clank, Johnny B, Fire46, Red Rider and Mongoose, GBNF

"It is foolish to mourn the men that died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived" -General George S. Patton, Jr.
Old 01-04-2011, 08:59 AM
gAZINTAs

J's 02 can happily embrace the suckJ's 02 can happily embrace the suckJ's 02 can happily embrace the suckJ's 02 can happily embrace the suckJ's 02 can happily embrace the suckJ's 02 can happily embrace the suckJ's 02 can happily embrace the suckJ's 02 can happily embrace the suckJ's 02 can happily embrace the suckJ's 02 can happily embrace the suckJ's 02 can happily embrace the suck
I use my glowing personality to charge mine.
Old 01-04-2011, 09:04 AM
A. DooF

Last Cigar Smoked: Whatever was next in the Mega rotation
par_fore has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowpar_fore has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowpar_fore has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowpar_fore has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowpar_fore has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowpar_fore has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowpar_fore has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowpar_fore has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowpar_fore has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowpar_fore has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowpar_fore has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
I looked for quite some time and ended up going with the Kuryakyn that you mention. I only found one other and it was similar. A little pricey, but I found it on ebay for almost half the cost that it is on the Kuryakyn's site.

It is shiny oke:

"I want to live and ride free, unencumbered by all but God's love." ~ Red Rider
Old 01-04-2011, 09:05 AM
gAZINTa - Delinquent

ms_tapestry looks handsome even in Groucho glassesms_tapestry looks handsome even in Groucho glassesms_tapestry looks handsome even in Groucho glassesms_tapestry looks handsome even in Groucho glassesms_tapestry looks handsome even in Groucho glassesms_tapestry looks handsome even in Groucho glassesms_tapestry looks handsome even in Groucho glassesms_tapestry looks handsome even in Groucho glassesms_tapestry looks handsome even in Groucho glassesms_tapestry looks handsome even in Groucho glassesms_tapestry looks handsome even in Groucho glasses
I found this for you. . .it's green. . .

High Priestess of the Cloudriders
Old 01-04-2011, 09:07 AM
Breaker of Stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaGlide View Post
No, but it you want cleanliness.
I'm making a lot of work and expense for you here...
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSwede View Post
Or get a sacrificial phone cord and hard wire it to the bike. Snip the cigarette lighter plug off the end. Use an inline fuse for protection.
Gotcha.

That's actually an intriguing idea having it hardwired and bringing it up under the tank. I could zip tie the thing to the frame when I'm not using it. Though if I do the iPhone cable like Frank's suggesting, that limits what I can charge.

Hmmm, gonna have to see what sort of space I have under the tank.

Old 01-04-2011, 09:09 AM
Pu Dekcuf Lla

PeaceKeeper is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withPeaceKeeper is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withPeaceKeeper is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withPeaceKeeper is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withPeaceKeeper is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withPeaceKeeper is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withPeaceKeeper is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withPeaceKeeper is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withPeaceKeeper is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withPeaceKeeper is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withPeaceKeeper is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen with
I looked at them all, HD has the best fit and blend. They mount in the side covers, they come with a drill template, they work and look great. The only thing I did different was wired them directly to the battery with a 5amp inline fuse so I could watch videos at campgrounds and charge my cellphone overnight with the bike off, otherwise they tell you to wire it to the acc. circut under the seat. Let me know if you want a pic.
Old 01-04-2011, 09:09 AM
The Other Founder
President for Life
Double-D

Quote:
Originally Posted by J's 02 View Post
I use my glowing personality to charge mine.
But when you get lost, you won't be able to call, and we'll worry.

Old 01-04-2011, 09:14 AM
RAM 2500 Cummins 4X4

Last Cigar Smoked: Man O' War Ruination
SafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSwede View Post
I'd be careful and do some research first.

A lot of "cigarette plug" type chargers are also power converters.

Phones, GPS, etc sometimes charge on 9v, 6v, or even 2.5v, and the plug part contains therein a converter.
If you cut that off, and wire it to 12v you could cook your phone.

For example, my Motorolas (both my Razr VE20 and my Quantico) charge on the small USB style plug, and charge on 6.0 volt.

I would get the Kuryakyn, paint it black, and maybe mount it on the down tube, where it is less conspicuous.
From my Brother Don... I love his insight.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadWolf View Post
Postwhores are a dime a dozen.
What's impressive about you is that you are your own pimp.
Kudos!

Old 01-04-2011, 09:16 AM
RAM 2500 Cummins 4X4

Last Cigar Smoked: Man O' War Ruination
SafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peacekeeper View Post
I looked at them all, HD has the best fit and blend. They mount in the side covers, they come with a drill template, they work and look great. The only thing I did different was wired them directly to the battery with a 5amp inline fuse so I could watch videos at campgrounds and charge my cellphone overnight with the bike off, otherwise they tell you to wire it to the acc. circut under the seat. Let me know if you want a pic.
Dude... which side covers?

From my Brother Don... I love his insight.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadWolf View Post
Postwhores are a dime a dozen.
What's impressive about you is that you are your own pimp.
Kudos!

Old 01-04-2011, 09:21 AM
The Other Founder
President for Life
Double-D

Quote:
Originally Posted by SafetyMan View Post
I'd be careful and do some research first.

A lot of "cigarette plug" type chargers are also power converters.

Phones, GPS, etc sometimes charge on 9v, 6v, or even 2.5v, and the plug part contains therein a converter.
If you cut that off, and wire it to 12v you could cook your phone.

For example, my Motorolas (both my Razr VE20 and my Quantico) charge on the small USB style plug, and charge on 6.0 volt.

I would get the Kuryakyn, paint it black, and maybe mount it on the down tube, where it is less conspicuous.
Good thinkin', Chippy!
In my defense.... uh...... well...... I have no defense.
Only a few sips into my first cup when I made the suggestion, though.
Yeah, that's it.