Doof Clenas Forum & Collective

Go Back   The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective > Tech Talk > Engine & Transmission
CHALLENGE COINS, PATCHES, TIMER COVERS, HATS, T-SHIRTS IN STOCK NOW - Click on the "Doof Wares" link on the menu bar... ------------------------------ Current Homeland Diaper Rash Level: Light Pink - Chafed, yet faintly amusing ------------------------------ Lady G's Doofishul Theme for August is: Redheads ------------------------------ LISTEN TO OUR NOT QUITE FINISHED THEME SONG... CLICK HERE!... THANKS, BUZZ!!!!

Old 03-01-2009, 05:02 PM
Buffalo Hump

fxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suck
Quote:
Originally Posted by vafatboy View Post
Good job Mikey!!

Thanks Warren !

It's beyond me why they don't use these!!

BRILLIANT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That would work, and be SOOOOOOOOOOOOO dayum easy on us at home !!!

States I've ridden my scoots in:

Old 03-01-2009, 05:03 PM
Buffalo Hump

fxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suck
Quote:
Originally Posted by sofa king View Post
Mikey, I would love to see a few more pics of this beast of a bench.
OK, will do .....

Old 03-01-2009, 05:26 PM
Double-D

Last Cigar Smoked: comancho
Sonic has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSonic has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSonic has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSonic has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSonic has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSonic has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSonic has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSonic has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSonic has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSonic has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSonic has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Quote:
Originally Posted by fxr4mikey View Post
The project is on hold for a week to 10 days until I get my new cylinder studs .....
if i skimmed this sorry,,, but try jenny on monday.... she ships straight to you usually 2 days.... plus 20 percent discount!!!!! Ok so I skimmed it lol but in the future! You sure you havent done this before? Very nice job!

Chris
RIP MONGOOSE

2002 RK Police
95 Big Bore Kit, Weisco Flat Top Pistons, 9.13:1
Engine built by Wilsons of E-town,KY
Vance and Hines Ovals
SE Air Cleaner, K&N Filter
2006 HD Stock Heads
Andrews 26G Cams
Dyno'd by ENGINES BY OTTO

851st ARMY SECURITY AGENCY - Europe - 74-77

Last edited by Sonic; 03-01-2009 at 05:45 PM.
Old 03-01-2009, 05:59 PM
Buffalo Hump

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic View Post
if i skimmed this sorry,,, but try jenny on monday.... she ships straight to you usually 2 days.... plus 20 percent discount!!!!! Ok so I skimmed it lol but in the future! You sure you havent done this before? Very nice job!

THANKS !!
I did get some of my stuff from Jenny, it worked out FINE ! Would not hesitate to go back .....

Ya Skimmer !!

I'm sure I've NEVER done this before .... but I've received a TON of support from Harley and Paul and Warren, and Steve, and dayum I knew I should start brining up names ...... and ALL THE REST of the guys that have been helping me !!! Without that, I wouldn't be this far along. AND, feeling really good about it too

weather is bad here for the next few days, so I already called one of my customers and told him that I'd not be working his job tomorrow ..... so it looks like I'm in the garage most of the day tomorrow

pics to come ...

Old 03-01-2009, 06:15 PM
Executive Vice President
D.F.F.D

Last Cigar Smoked: Romeo y Julieta Churchill
BillyB has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBillyB has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBillyB has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBillyB has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBillyB has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBillyB has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBillyB has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBillyB has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBillyB has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBillyB has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBillyB has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Sounds like tomorrow is going to be a busy day in the garage Mikey! Looking forward to some more pics and another progress report.

Old 03-01-2009, 07:00 PM
Double-D

Last Cigar Smoked: comancho
Sonic has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSonic has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSonic has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSonic has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSonic has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSonic has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSonic has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSonic has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSonic has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSonic has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSonic has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Quote:
Originally Posted by fxr4mikey View Post
I did get some of my stuff from Jenny, it worked out FINE ! Would not hesitate to go back .....

Ya Skimmer !!

I'm sure I've NEVER done this before .... but I've received a TON of support from Harley and Paul and Warren, and Steve, and dayum I knew I should start brining up names ...... and ALL THE REST of the guys that have been helping me !!! Without that, I wouldn't be this far along. AND, feeling really good about it too

weather is bad here for the next few days, so I already called one of my customers and told him that I'd not be working his job tomorrow ..... so it looks like I'm in the garage most of the day tomorrow

pics to come ...
If you werent so far away would come over in morn to.... watch

Chris
RIP MONGOOSE

2002 RK Police
95 Big Bore Kit, Weisco Flat Top Pistons, 9.13:1
Engine built by Wilsons of E-town,KY
Vance and Hines Ovals
SE Air Cleaner, K&N Filter
2006 HD Stock Heads
Andrews 26G Cams
Dyno'd by ENGINES BY OTTO

851st ARMY SECURITY AGENCY - Europe - 74-77
Old 03-02-2009, 09:08 PM
Buffalo Hump

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic View Post
If you werent so far away would come over in morn to.... watch
I wish I were closer ... that'd be fun

Old 03-02-2009, 09:24 PM
Buffalo Hump

Alrighty Then !!!

More progress on the build .... got the pistons ringed, installed into the cylinders, put the cylinders on the bike, put the heads on the cylinders, torqued them down, started the install of the intake manifold ....

first use a sharpie to mark the direction of the arrow that's on the top of the cylinder ... Nice tip from my Good Friend Harley ! Thanks Harley !

here's the rear cylinder, upside down, the piston (with rings installed) and the ring compressor. I oiled all of the rings before I installed them, then I put assembly lube all the way around the piston. Starting from the 'top' of the piston and going down to the space below the oil wiper. I also put assy. lube inside the ring compressor to make it easy to knock the piston out of the compressor. I didn't get any shots of that process ... messy hands for sure .... I used the wooden end of a plastic dead blow hammer to tap on the inside of the piston to drive it down into the cylinder. You have to pay attention to how far you put it into the cylinder.... leave enough room for the wrist pin to clear ....

Here's the piston in the cylinder .... arrow pointing to the left (front) ....

here you can see that there is room for the wrist pin to clear

just for the fun of it, I took a shot down into the cylinder ... you can see that the arrow is pointing to the front ..... the cut-out in the side of the cylinder is the space used by the push rods ....... I know all you wrenches already know all this stuff .... I'm just trying to help the guy, like me, who's never done it before.

here's the cylinder with the piston installed and sitting 'upright' you'll notice that I've installed the wrist pin into the piston already. Thanks Steve for that tip !!
Install it just short of the entry for the connecting rod .... this way you won't have to stop after you put the cylinder down over the studs and try to find the wrist pin, or pick it up from somewhere. In the photo, it might look like it, but it's not, .... that the cylinder is sitting down on the top edge of the wrist pin .... it's not

EDIT:
Don't do like I did (I got lucky) I FORGOT to stuff some rags in the crank case holes so as not to drop anything in there.....like a cir clip

here's the rear one on, wrist pin installed (more on this in a minute) and getting ready to install the cir clip.

cir clip being installed ..... see my earlier post on this .... once you get that idea down, it's EASY ..... Not one of them went FLYING!!!

then I took the head bolts .... I know they look like 'zhit' but there's NOTHING wrong with them ... and you can't see them anyway ..... and put some oil in the cap, dipped my finder in it and lubed the shoulder of the head bolts, and the bottoms of them. I had already oiled the inside threads a couple of weeks ago by dipping an old cyl stud in oil and screwing that into the head bolts.

here she is with her first new head !!!
I used James base cylinder gasket, and Cometic head gaskets. Both come with torquing instructions ... I followed the Cometic instructions and pattern. I've also decided that even I were to use stock HD head gaskets (but I would NEVER) that I'd still follow the Cometic torquing instructions.

ain't she PRETTTTTTY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

here's the second one going on - you can see the wrist pin already started

then, working from the other side, you can look into the hole for the wrist pin and align the connecting rod and push the wrist pin through ...... :-) Thanks again Steve !!
It took a few maneuvers to get it aligned, but it was pretty straight forward and not difficult. You just have to hold the cylinder/piston, move it up and down, you might have to move the connecting rod, reach through to the other side with you other hand, and start pushing on the wrist pin .... once it starts to go in keep pushing on it until it seats up against the cir clip that was already installed on the work bench...

here she is with both of her new heads !!!!!!!!!!! I LOVE THIS BIKE !!!!!!!!!! She is BEAUTIFUL !!!!!!!!

so then I set about to install the intake manifold. If you do this step now, BEFORE you install the rocker boxes you'll have more room to work.

here's the old seal coming out

here's a closer look at what the seals look like .... be sure to install the flange FIRST, and the bevel side of the seal goes 'in' towards the flange.

here's the loosely fit intake manifold .... got late, got tired, got cold ...... tomorrow is another day .....

Last edited by fxr4mikey; 03-02-2009 at 09:33 PM.
Old 03-02-2009, 09:28 PM
GazintA

TerryMiller stays crunchy even in milkTerryMiller stays crunchy even in milkTerryMiller stays crunchy even in milkTerryMiller stays crunchy even in milkTerryMiller stays crunchy even in milkTerryMiller stays crunchy even in milkTerryMiller stays crunchy even in milkTerryMiller stays crunchy even in milkTerryMiller stays crunchy even in milkTerryMiller stays crunchy even in milkTerryMiller stays crunchy even in milk
Nice work Mikey.

Engine by Otto.
Old 03-02-2009, 11:08 PM
Woody218

Mike, I am just beaming with pride! You are doing an absolutely awesome job!!

Well done, my friend!!
Old 03-02-2009, 11:21 PM
Buffalo Hump

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryMiller View Post
Nice work Mikey.
Thanks Terry !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody218 View Post
Mike, I am just beaming with pride! You are doing an absolutely awesome job!!

Thanks Harley !! You're an EXCELLENT Teacher !! Thanks for all your help, and taking all my phone calls !!

Well done, my friend!!
Thanks Brother !!!

Old 03-03-2009, 12:31 AM
Executive Vice President
D.F.F.D

Last Cigar Smoked: Romeo y Julieta Churchill
BillyB has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBillyB has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBillyB has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBillyB has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBillyB has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBillyB has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBillyB has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBillyB has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBillyB has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBillyB has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBillyB has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Thanks for posting all of this in such detail Mikey! You are doing a great job on the build

Old 03-03-2009, 07:31 AM
Original Delinquent

Backroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milk
Mikey;

Looking Good. Great pics.

Did you already know what your deck height on the pistons was, or did you not need to check that? Just asking.

Weather's looking good, except for Saturday. You gonna be ready?

Kimber

Old 03-03-2009, 07:40 AM
Excommunicated

Berserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girl
I see you got the engine in the frame. I thought Evos had to pulled. You can assemble in frame?
Old 03-03-2009, 08:16 AM
snow pirate

Last Cigar Smoked: No thanks.
stoney has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstoney has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstoney has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstoney has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstoney has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstoney has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstoney has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstoney has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstoney has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstoney has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstoney has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Looking good Mikey! The pics look like they're right out of a manual...great job!

ALL WHO WANDER ARE NOT LOST.

GFFG