Doof Clenas Forum & Collective

Go Back   The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective > Tech Talk > Engine & Transmission
CHALLENGE COINS, PATCHES, TIMER COVERS, HATS, T-SHIRTS IN STOCK NOW - Click on the "Doof Wares" link on the menu bar... ------------------------------ Current Homeland Diaper Rash Level: Light Pink - Chafed, yet faintly amusing ------------------------------ Lady G's Doofishul Theme for August is: Redheads ------------------------------ LISTEN TO OUR NOT QUITE FINISHED THEME SONG... CLICK HERE!... THANKS, BUZZ!!!!

Old 03-07-2007, 05:50 PM
Not just another pretty face

vafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berserker View Post
Are you going with after market ignition. I was little annoyed that this was never discussed for my build, until almost together, after I asked. I didn't think I would have a problem with 9.7. But I get alot of pinging when it is hot out. So I went with DTT, and adjust it for the weather.

What compression going with?

Keeping stock carb?
I'm efi, 37b and had the pinging too. Downloaded a map from dynojet for a close setup after changing to a 2 into 1 pipe. Pinging gone. When I had it tuned the tuner removed some - timing that was in the low rpm range, said he had never seen that before and I shouldn't need it. Pinging came back when it got hot out. I put the - timing back in and all is good.
Old 03-11-2007, 08:10 AM

vafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milk
How is it going Mark???
Old 03-14-2007, 07:07 PM
breaker of tables

meanbean is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withmeanbean is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withmeanbean is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withmeanbean is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withmeanbean is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withmeanbean is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withmeanbean is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withmeanbean is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withmeanbean is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withmeanbean is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withmeanbean is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen with
Quote:
Originally Posted by vafatboy View Post
How is it going Mark???
I haven't done a thing to the bike for a week. I just got back from our annual boondoggle, this year it was in Hilton Head. While I was gone, GMR shipped the jugs and pistons, I'm waiting for the rest of the order to arrive.

I went with the cam that Steve recommended with the kit. I also bought a DTT, Feuling oil pump and a Primo clutch. I can't wait to get this sucker together. I'm going to gap the rings and install the pistons in the jugs this week.
Old 03-14-2007, 07:09 PM
breaker of tables

meanbean is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withmeanbean is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withmeanbean is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withmeanbean is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withmeanbean is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withmeanbean is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withmeanbean is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withmeanbean is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withmeanbean is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withmeanbean is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withmeanbean is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen with
Quote:
Mark,

If you read the manual in advance of doing the work a couple of times, the tools needed will be spelled out for ya. Only exception is the gear drive. Steve should send along instructions for those, if not a search of the S&S or Andrews site will have instructions for setting lash. But you might want to check with Steve and see if he is or can send those along.

I had access to cam tools and a press, so that's the way I went. However folks have done the oven and freezer thing for the cams.

If using adjustable push rods, you can make a little tool out of rubber bands and a paper clip to hold the push rod tube up while adjusting. Hook the clip to the tube and one to a rocker cover bolts.

Pay close attention to the oil pump alignment and get some help to spin the rear tire in fifth gear with the plugs out to center the pump while tightening the oil pump alignment pins.

Be sure that all case bolt holes are clear of any oil or this could happen.

Good Luck and skin a few knuckles for the rest of us.
Damn!!! The hydraulic pressure of some oil trapped in the case did that???? Damn!!!
Old 03-14-2007, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meanbean View Post
Damn!!! The hydraulic pressure of some oil trapped in the case did that???? Damn!!!
I'm not sure about that particular picture, it was borrowed as an example. But have seen some at the cam cover caused by hydraulic pressure.
Old 03-15-2007, 02:10 AM
What you lookin' at!?!?!?

Jeffytune is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withJeffytune is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withJeffytune is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withJeffytune is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withJeffytune is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withJeffytune is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withJeffytune is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withJeffytune is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withJeffytune is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withJeffytune is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withJeffytune is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen with
Hey MB.............Nice Beemer.

Offically Old enough to ride a Geezer-Glide.
(Geezer-glide is a registered trademark of Harley Davidson Tour bikes, Any reference to a member of the DooF Clena of other forum screen name is strictly accidental. The reference is that I ride a Harley Davdison Tour bike, not some old dude that there is not enough alcohol in the world to get me to ride.)

Doctor JT 43

Eastern side
Profesional Rockat Surgen

Old 03-15-2007, 03:03 PM
breaker of tables

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffytune View Post
Hey MB.............Nice Beemer.
Thanks, it's my wifes toy and she looks damn good in it. She asked to keep it in the garage for the winter so it's cramping my space a bit, but life is give and take....................

Got my pipes from Sedeluxe (thanks George). White Bros E pipe, I like it and Steve says it's a great pipe for my build.
Old 03-21-2007, 07:10 PM

Update???
Old 03-22-2007, 09:42 AM
Obsolete Doof Prospect

ridingjerry is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withridingjerry is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withridingjerry is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withridingjerry is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withridingjerry is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withridingjerry is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withridingjerry is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withridingjerry is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withridingjerry is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withridingjerry is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withridingjerry is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen with
Quote:
Update???

We're waiting.

Introducing the Al Gore engine

Obsolete Doof
1998 Obsolete Springer Rider
Part time Shovel Rider
Some time XLCH Kicker

Old 03-22-2007, 04:57 PM
breaker of tables

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridingjerry View Post
We're waiting.
Me too.

Waiting for my heads, cams, clutch, rods, rockers and oil pump.
Old 03-28-2007, 07:06 PM

Yo,
Old 03-30-2007, 05:26 PM
breaker of tables

My job keeps getting in the way of this build.

Jugs and pistons are done.

Brakes are done.

Sheet metal is back from paint.

Doing the clutch and cams tonight and tomorrow morning. Cam bearings are done and the new clutch hub is pressed in. The clutch disks are soaking in Dexron III.

Heating the cam plate in the oven works to get the old bearings out. Freezin the bearings and heating the plate did not work to install the bearings. I had to go to work and use the press.

Installing the wrist pin circlips wasn't bad using Springers method, but you need to be careful you don't jam the screw driver into your thumb.

I'm now having a beer and reading the Feuling oil pump instructions.