Doof Clenas Forum & Collective

Go Back   The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective > Tech Talk > Engine & Transmission
CHALLENGE COINS, PATCHES, TIMER COVERS, HATS, T-SHIRTS IN STOCK NOW - Click on the "Doof Wares" link on the menu bar... ------------------------------ Current Homeland Diaper Rash Level: Light Pink - Chafed, yet faintly amusing ------------------------------ Lady G's Doofishul Theme for August is: Redheads ------------------------------ LISTEN TO OUR NOT QUITE FINISHED THEME SONG... CLICK HERE!... THANKS, BUZZ!!!!

Old 03-23-2007, 11:55 PM
Spit it out it ain't yers

KICKER can happily embrace the suckKICKER can happily embrace the suckKICKER can happily embrace the suckKICKER can happily embrace the suckKICKER can happily embrace the suckKICKER can happily embrace the suckKICKER can happily embrace the suckKICKER can happily embrace the suckKICKER can happily embrace the suckKICKER can happily embrace the suckKICKER can happily embrace the suck
Final drive belt adj. question

I'm making this adjustment by myself.Book says between 5/16 and 3/8 deflection @ 10 lbs. with rider weight.Problem is I can't read the measurment and keep my weight on the bike at the same time.Anyone know what the measurment is without rider weight on the bike?
F
F
B
Old 03-24-2007, 12:18 AM
Excommunicated

LittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suck
Sorry, not data available.
Get a a friend to sit on it while you adjust it. Then once you do, measure it without the rider and post the answer for us.
Old 03-24-2007, 12:19 AM
Jams

I just always had someone sit on the bike for me and guess-timate what 10 lbs feels like when lifted with one finger...
The main thing is keeping the belt straight and not too tight. It is better to be on the loose side than it is to be too tight.
Old 03-24-2007, 12:26 AM

KICKER can happily embrace the suckKICKER can happily embrace the suckKICKER can happily embrace the suckKICKER can happily embrace the suckKICKER can happily embrace the suckKICKER can happily embrace the suckKICKER can happily embrace the suckKICKER can happily embrace the suckKICKER can happily embrace the suckKICKER can happily embrace the suckKICKER can happily embrace the suck
Don't have anyone here to sit on it or help.Just changed the tire and replaced the brakes trying to finish up.
F
F
B
Old 03-24-2007, 12:33 AM
Excommunicated

LittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suck
Adjust it on the loose side of the tolerance, the belt gets tighter as the shocks are compressed. Just add 1/16 and call it good.
Old 03-24-2007, 12:35 AM
Jams

I used a 10 lb weight and got used to the feel of what 10 lbs felt like on one finger.

If you have it too tight with no weight then when you put weight on it will be over tight and could cause more problems.

Not much help I realize, but the belt drive is something designed to need a special tool only available at a dealership.
Old 03-24-2007, 12:51 AM
Excommunicated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jams View Post
I used a 10 lb weight and got used to the feel of what 10 lbs felt like on one finger.

If you have it too tight with no weight then when you put weight on it will be over tight and could cause more problems.

Not much help I realize, but the belt drive is something designed to need a special tool only available at a dealership.
Never used the tool to adjust my belts. Always done it by feel. When my belts are too loose, they squeal when cold. Since they get tighter as they heat up, the squeal goes away in a few miles. I usually tighten them up when I get to my destination for the night.
Just do not get it too tight, that will ruin bets, bearing and seals.
Old 03-24-2007, 01:14 AM

Have the tool ,deflection is at 3/8" on the jack(freewheel).Too tight?Thoughts?
F
F
B
Old 03-24-2007, 01:22 AM
Excommunicated

Set it on the ground and adjust it, that way you have some weight on it. Up in the air, it is at min distance from pulley to trans sprocket. Like I said, as the shocks compress the distance from pulley to sprocket gets longer, belt gets tighter.
And adjusting it to 3/8 on the ground would probably be good.
Old 03-24-2007, 01:23 AM

Cool .Thanks.
F
F
B
Old 03-24-2007, 08:09 AM
8-Ball

geez... I adjusted mine on the lift... am I going to die now?!

I don't recall reading anything about rider weight... and I've got those cam adjusters... pretty hard to set the axle torque on the ground...
Old 03-24-2007, 09:03 AM
michael101

I usually sit on mine and reach down to feel the slack...but my middle finger is calibrated according to ASME standards.

It's not that difficult, you will know if it is too tight if you are hearing a distinct belt whine during deceleration.
Old 03-24-2007, 10:48 AM

Thanks for the added input guys.Every little bit is useful.Yes,8Ball you are going to die now.No rider weight,and on the lift,you're a gonner for sure ,book says so.It's been a real slice,say hi to Elvis for me would ya.Thanks.

F
F
B
Old 03-24-2007, 11:05 AM
Known Associate

nvsteve has failed to amuse us
The 07 manual says to adjust without rider and on the kick stand.
Don't know why you couldn't do the same on prvious years.
Old 03-24-2007, 11:15 AM

When I get some help I'll let you guys know what the difference is.Should be interesting since the book only gives you a 1/16" of leeway.
F
F
B