Doof Clenas Forum & Collective

Go Back   The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective > Tech Talk > Engine & Transmission
CHALLENGE COINS, PATCHES, TIMER COVERS, HATS, T-SHIRTS IN STOCK NOW - Click on the "Doof Wares" link on the menu bar... ------------------------------ Current Homeland Diaper Rash Level: Light Pink - Chafed, yet faintly amusing ------------------------------ Lady G's Doofishul Theme for August is: Redheads ------------------------------ LISTEN TO OUR NOT QUITE FINISHED THEME SONG... CLICK HERE!... THANKS, BUZZ!!!!

Old 02-17-2007, 06:56 PM
GazintA

TerryMiller stays crunchy even in milkTerryMiller stays crunchy even in milkTerryMiller stays crunchy even in milkTerryMiller stays crunchy even in milkTerryMiller stays crunchy even in milkTerryMiller stays crunchy even in milkTerryMiller stays crunchy even in milkTerryMiller stays crunchy even in milkTerryMiller stays crunchy even in milkTerryMiller stays crunchy even in milkTerryMiller stays crunchy even in milk
Quote:
Originally Posted by duhast View Post
I'm gonna try for the "Stupid" award here, but it strikes me that there is something very basic here that no one is mentioning.
There's no right or wrong in this. There's just reasons for building whichever way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by duhast View Post
The 45* v-twin is, by it's basic design, not a high rpm motor. This is not to say that it cannot be made to spin, just that it's natural inclination at high rpm is to disintegrate.

So, my vote is for low rpm torque, right where it likes to live naturaly.

So...how wrong am I?
Can you narrow down "where it likes to live naturally" and "high rpm".

Is 5,000 rpm too high?

Engine by Otto.
Old 02-17-2007, 09:34 PM
Magyarorszag

475wildey is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen with475wildey is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen with475wildey is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen with475wildey is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen with475wildey is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen with475wildey is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen with475wildey is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen with475wildey is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen with475wildey is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen with475wildey is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen with475wildey is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen with
tq hp

Niether of my bikes have any torque or horsepower
Old 02-17-2007, 10:12 PM
package shredder

chnpostal is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withchnpostal is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withchnpostal is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withchnpostal is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withchnpostal is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withchnpostal is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withchnpostal is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withchnpostal is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withchnpostal is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withchnpostal is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withchnpostal is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen with
Quote:
Originally Posted by 475wildey View Post
Niether of my bikes have any torque or horsepower
Contact fATBoY.....he'll give ya some well thought out tips and pointers.......

Old 02-17-2007, 11:24 PM
Magyarorszag

475wildey is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen with475wildey is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen with475wildey is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen with475wildey is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen with475wildey is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen with475wildey is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen with475wildey is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen with475wildey is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen with475wildey is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen with475wildey is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen with475wildey is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen with
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by chnpostal View Post
Contact fATBoY.....he'll give ya some well thought out tips and pointers.......

Yea fAtAsS er uh fAtBoY is my bro...........................NOT!!!!!
Old 02-18-2007, 08:26 AM
GazintA

TerryMiller stays crunchy even in milkTerryMiller stays crunchy even in milkTerryMiller stays crunchy even in milkTerryMiller stays crunchy even in milkTerryMiller stays crunchy even in milkTerryMiller stays crunchy even in milkTerryMiller stays crunchy even in milkTerryMiller stays crunchy even in milkTerryMiller stays crunchy even in milkTerryMiller stays crunchy even in milkTerryMiller stays crunchy even in milk
Here's a Joe Minton article since there's no low rpm torque guys posting their opinions.

http://www.americanrider.com/output.cfm?id=1205749

Engine by Otto.
Old 02-18-2007, 10:07 AM
Doofhead

Totenkopf is not in AOL's target demographicTotenkopf is not in AOL's target demographicTotenkopf is not in AOL's target demographicTotenkopf is not in AOL's target demographicTotenkopf is not in AOL's target demographicTotenkopf is not in AOL's target demographicTotenkopf is not in AOL's target demographicTotenkopf is not in AOL's target demographicTotenkopf is not in AOL's target demographicTotenkopf is not in AOL's target demographicTotenkopf is not in AOL's target demographic
hehehe.......
Joe's editor evidently took some journalistic license. All the intake close numbers he used in the article are discussed as After TOP Dead Center. That wouldn't work to good.

He's correct about no substitute for displacement and I think he needs to write a follow-up article on how to select cams for his same premise on rpm powerband but for larger displacement engines from 103" through 150". You have to be mindful of how the dynamic relationship of the cam changes when displacement increases. In other words, you wouldn't use an Andrews 26 cam in a 124" build. Cams like the 37, various 510's, some of the similar HQ's cams would all be excellent candidates in the 95 & 98" builds with appropriate headwork, intake and exhaust to support them. You get excellent early torque and the motor will pull hard through 5500, which is where you need emergency passing power. You don't want to have to shift in a tight spot because your motor stopped pulling in the upper band, would you? I wouldn't and I don't like the idea of hammering the big end of the rods at low rpm WOT either. This is why I like a broad band of power with a motor that will spin. These types of cams are excellent street cams for that displacement range of 95 - 98".