Doof Clenas Forum & Collective

Go Back   The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective > Tech Talk > Accessories
CHALLENGE COINS, PATCHES, TIMER COVERS, HATS, T-SHIRTS IN STOCK NOW - Click on the "Doof Wares" link on the menu bar... ------------------------------ Current Homeland Diaper Rash Level: Light Pink - Chafed, yet faintly amusing ------------------------------ Lady G's Doofishul Theme for August is: Redheads ------------------------------ LISTEN TO OUR NOT QUITE FINISHED THEME SONG... CLICK HERE!... THANKS, BUZZ!!!!

Accessories Horns, Pegs, Guards, MP3, Sat. Radio, GPS, etc.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-10-2016, 11:28 AM
Double-D
Formidable Faux

MrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
ZUMO Added, A Few Notes

Mainly so that I can "remember" by looking here, if asked.

I bought a Zumo 665, intending to install it on my 2010 CVO Ultra exactly as the factory would have done it. Dan has a 2011 FLHTCUSE6 with the 660 factory installed and I wanted it to look and function like his.

I bought a new in box Zumo665 from a member of another forum.
I chose it because it was a crazy deal AND based on my own speculation that it was *exactly* the same as the Roadtech unit, save for the logo.

I've learned:

A. there's a separate component required (the Navigation Interface Module kit) which is also not in the RoadTech box, to make it able to interrupt the radio with traffic alerts.

B. apparently (not proven) there is a slightly different version of the Garmin software in the RoadTech that is required to make the unit play nice with the NIM.

C. The way the factory installs the unit does fully integrate it with the radio, but disables the AUX port in front. (not proven)

D. A mod exists to hardwire the NIM and save the AUX port functionality but requires modding the pre-amp circuit board inside the radio.

E. the Zumo does include the motorcyle mount (the hardwired baseplate) that you can put on a Ram mount.

F. the dashpad mount base is not included but those pieces are available from the MoCo and cheap, if you drill your dashpad rather than buy the dashpad with holes in it.

G. Despite possessing the tools/skills/knowledge/funds to do the circuit board mod and add the NIM, I didn't bother with that bit as I'm using a bluetooth headset and fully interfacing the Garmin with the stock speakers isn't worth any trouble to do for my purposes. I use the GPS on the highway when I couldn't hear the speakers well, anyway and that's the riding for which I got the bluetooth headset (and because:H)

H. I still don't know whether the RoadTech software can be had for my Zumo, but, again, no matter.

Summary: I mounted the 665 on the dash mount, it looks great! I use all the functions of the 665 via my Sena headset and BlueTooth (along with iPhone 6s and a Sena SM10 transmitter for listening to the factory radio with my headset.) The Zumo does NOT connect in any way to the stock radio or hand controls, it is hardwired for power only.
Thanks to the Sena's capabilities I am able to listen to, get alerts from (in this priority):
1. the phone
2. GPS
3. the factory radio for all its bands including XM.
All in my wireless headset.
If putting around town without the Sena, I use the stock speakers for music and if I use the Garmin, I have to make do with its internal speaker, which is fine at local speeds.

Ricky
it's only metal, we can out think it.....

Simplicate, never Complify
http://www.FraZzledEgGs.com

Rhetorical Questions....
Who Needs 'em?

Famous Tripod