Doof Clenas Forum & Collective

Go Back   The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective > Tech Talk > Handlebars, Grips, Cables...
CHALLENGE COINS, PATCHES, TIMER COVERS, HATS, T-SHIRTS IN STOCK NOW - Click on the "Doof Wares" link on the menu bar... ------------------------------ Current Homeland Diaper Rash Level: Light Pink - Chafed, yet faintly amusing ------------------------------ Lady G's Doofishul Theme for August is: Redheads ------------------------------ LISTEN TO OUR NOT QUITE FINISHED THEME SONG... CLICK HERE!... THANKS, BUZZ!!!!

Old 04-13-2007, 05:15 PM
Baalz

Installing my Clutch cable

Ok I have my new chrome clutch cable, White Bros easy clutch, and a new transmission gasket..

I have only one problem left...

Scared shitless to start. Dealer wants 2.5 hours labor and so far I'm chicken shit.
I did the throttle and idle and had a mess with lifting up gas tank. Lucky I got it all cleaned up and installed new crossover line. Front brake cable is on back order but Im not to scared of that.
But this clutch has got me scared.
Old 04-13-2007, 05:23 PM
Clubhouse Electrician

Q-Dog has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowQ-Dog has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowQ-Dog has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowQ-Dog has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowQ-Dog has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowQ-Dog has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowQ-Dog has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowQ-Dog has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowQ-Dog has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowQ-Dog has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowQ-Dog has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
First off..it's pronounced....skeered.

Now that that's out of the way.... I can't help.
I did however stay at a Holiday Inn last night.........

seriously.......LittleBear is the Knower of Stuff...
Seek him and the answers shall become clear.

Last edited by Q-Dog; 04-14-2007 at 12:05 AM.
Old 04-13-2007, 05:26 PM
8-Ball

I wouldn't put that thing on to start with... I had one and all it did was make it harder to feather the clutch. The pull was easier, but the sweet spot was very small.

Save the money and put it toward a Rivera Pro Clutch... It has 140% (i think) the grabbing power over HD clutch and feels as easy, if not easier than the White Bros unit.

just sayin'...
Old 04-13-2007, 05:37 PM
Not just another pretty face

vafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milk
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8-Ball View Post
I wouldn't put that thing on to start with... I had one and all it did was make it harder to feather the clutch. The pull was easier, but the sweet spot was very small.

Save the money and put it toward a Rivera Pro Clutch... It has 140% (i think) the grabbing power over HD clutch and feels as easy, if not easier than the White Bros unit.

just sayin'...
Mike, the sweet spot or gray area in the clutch is adjusted at the clutch basket.

Here is a link to an informative post by Harris on this adjustment.

http://www.v-twinforum.com/forums/sh...65&postcount=3

Oh and Baalz, grow a set and get after it.
Old 04-13-2007, 05:40 PM
8-Ball

Quote:
Originally Posted by vafatboy View Post
Mike, the sweet spot or gray area in the clutch is adjusted at the clutch basket.

Here is a link to an informative post by Harris on this adjustment.

http://www.v-twinforum.com/forums/sh...65&postcount=3
I know... Had mine adjusted like 5 times... never got it to feel right... Even Steve at GMR tried to adjust it, but then he learned me about Rivera. It was sage advise.
Old 04-13-2007, 10:24 PM
gAZINTa-Delinquent

Thorns doesn't need a tube sockThorns doesn't need a tube sockThorns doesn't need a tube sockThorns doesn't need a tube sockThorns doesn't need a tube sockThorns doesn't need a tube sockThorns doesn't need a tube sockThorns doesn't need a tube sockThorns doesn't need a tube sockThorns doesn't need a tube sockThorns doesn't need a tube sock
Baalz, you have a manual? If not, I can scan and e-mail the pages you need. If you park bike on a couple of 2x6 and carefully lean on jiffy stand, you don't have to drain trans fluid. Not a hard job. Small snap ring pilers needed at lever end.

Thorns

"The right of the people to keep and bear arms." "Gimme back, gimme back my bullets"

Old 04-13-2007, 11:22 PM
Under Construction

Last Cigar Smoked: Robert Burns Blackwatch, in the '70s
TalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baalz View Post
Ok I have my new chrome clutch cable, White Bros easy clutch, and a new transmission gasket..

I have only one problem left...

Scared shitless to start. Dealer wants 2.5 hours labor and so far I'm chicken shit.
I did the throttle and idle and had a mess with lifting up gas tank. Lucky I got it all cleaned up and installed new crossover line. Front brake cable is on back order but Im not to scared of that.
But this clutch has got me scared.
How hard can it be? I'm doin' mine shortly and the worst part, to me, is having to pull the whole exhaust system to change it. Aside from that, it looks like a walk in the park--just take your time.
Somewhat dilapidated, yet functional, Kubota L2500
'20 Branson 3620
'18 Ram 3500 Diesel
'02 Wrangler X, 4" lift on 33 x 12.50s
Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140
Felt Nine 50
Killin' more bees than Monsanto
Old 04-14-2007, 12:12 AM
Yes, they are Real.......

harleyjsb doesn't need a tube sockharleyjsb doesn't need a tube sockharleyjsb doesn't need a tube sockharleyjsb doesn't need a tube sockharleyjsb doesn't need a tube sockharleyjsb doesn't need a tube sockharleyjsb doesn't need a tube sockharleyjsb doesn't need a tube sockharleyjsb doesn't need a tube sockharleyjsb doesn't need a tube sockharleyjsb doesn't need a tube sock
Just don't get scared when all them ball bearings fall in the floor.............

just kiddin' it ain't that hard to do.......... just that your time

Keeper Of The Toast
2006 Post Whore Of The Year

SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES; NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING, BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS........
Old 04-14-2007, 05:45 AM
Baalz

So if I park the bike on 1 layer of 2x6 or 2 layer of 2x6 ? i dont have to drain the fluids?
Old 04-14-2007, 09:19 AM
Double-D

Last Cigar Smoked: Obsidian
Stone Cold is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withStone Cold is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withStone Cold is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withStone Cold is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withStone Cold is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withStone Cold is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withStone Cold is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withStone Cold is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withStone Cold is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withStone Cold is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withStone Cold is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen with
Re-routing the cable so that it's not too tight nor too much slop was my biggest pain in the a$$.

You can do it.

"Keeping a candle lit"

"RIP Butkus"
2002-2006

Danger: Propane
Keep Back 200 Feet

Last edited by Stone Cold; 04-14-2007 at 12:20 PM.
Old 04-14-2007, 10:36 AM
Baalz

Update
I have lowered the exhaust (I originally installed it) enough to get clutch cover off.
Now if I can only find drain plug. Or should I do the 2X4 trick.. hmm
Old 04-14-2007, 02:53 PM
Baalz

Update
All back together and no working clutch.. wonderful.
Old 04-14-2007, 02:58 PM
The Other Founder
President for Life
Double-D

Last Cigar Smoked: PDR 1878 Reserva Dominicana Capa Oscura
MegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glasses
Did you seat the balls?

http://sherlynpopelka.net/

Revelation 19:11
And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse;
and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True,
and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

*Usual manly disclaimer applies, if applicable.
Old 04-14-2007, 03:18 PM
The Other Founder
President for Life
Double-D

Last Cigar Smoked: PDR 1878 Reserva Dominicana Capa Oscura
MegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glasses
Also, after the balls are seated, when you go to adjust the clutch, "lightly seated" means when you just feel the tip of the screw begin to touch, using your fingertips on the allen wrench. Just barely 1/2 turn out with a pull reducer in there, and on some covers you have to grind the piss out of some of the ribs inside where the EZ thing hits.

http://sherlynpopelka.net/

Revelation 19:11
And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse;
and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True,
and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

*Usual manly disclaimer applies, if applicable.
Old 04-14-2007, 03:45 PM
Baalz

No idea whats wrong. Clutch doesnt even work now. I was positive I put it together correctly. I even took off inspection cover and did the adjustment there. Absolutely no clutch.