Doof Clenas Forum & Collective

Go Back   The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective > Tech Talk > Engine & Transmission
CHALLENGE COINS, PATCHES, TIMER COVERS, HATS, T-SHIRTS IN STOCK NOW - Click on the "Doof Wares" link on the menu bar... ------------------------------ Current Homeland Diaper Rash Level: Light Pink - Chafed, yet faintly amusing ------------------------------ Lady G's Doofishul Theme for August is: Redheads ------------------------------ LISTEN TO OUR NOT QUITE FINISHED THEME SONG... CLICK HERE!... THANKS, BUZZ!!!!

Old 03-20-2011, 06:38 PM
gAZINTa-Delinquent

Last Cigar Smoked: Banana pudding after some baby back ribs
jasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Quote:
Originally Posted by Why_Me View Post
An added hitch to this...being that I just got done changing everything in the motor...I need to retune it. Smart Dave gave me a starting point but said it needs to be tuned before riding it. I have the TTS to upload the starting point and save the current tune. How dangerous will it be to rid it before tuning it properly? I would think I wouldn't want to do any WOT runs on it until the tune has been taken care of. If I was only a little bit off, I wouldn't worry too much as long as it wasn't lean, but I have a feeliing that this map won't be close enough to do much more than a few heat cycles. Pardon me if I am worrying too damn much.
If the map he gave you is for the same build your doing then just add a couple percent fuel across the entire map and you should be fine for heat cycling and seating the rings. If not then do not ride it at all until it can be broken in on the dyno. You absolutely don't want to put the first 25 miles on it without the full throttle runs. This is what seats the rings. The hard accel/decel builds cylinder pressure to force the rings out. If you baby it you'll knock the sharp points off the hone before they've seated the rings.

Separated at birth? You decide
Old 03-20-2011, 06:54 PM
Double-D

why_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milk
Yeah, the map isn't for a build exactly like mine, similar but far enough off that I would be worried. I'll get it to a dyno, hopefully in the next week. should I hold off on the heat cycles until then as well?
"History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid" - Gen Eisenhower.
Old 03-20-2011, 06:56 PM
grapenutless

Last Cigar Smoked: none of your danged business
y2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
is it running yet
who's to blame in 2014?
OH THIS IS SO NOODLES FAULT
Chitty Chitty

Old 03-20-2011, 07:03 PM
Double-D

why_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milk
No. Got hung up on mounting the exhaust today. The gasket in the crossover tube got crunched and no replacement gasket came in my kit. Have to wait until tomorrow to get a new one.
"History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid" - Gen Eisenhower.
Old 03-20-2011, 07:06 PM
gAZINTa-Delinquent

jasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Quote:
Yeah, the map isn't for a build exactly like mine, similar but far enough off that I would be worried. I'll get it to a dyno, hopefully in the next week. should I hold off on the heat cycles until then as well?
Heat cycling should be fine as long as you just heat cycle. First start should be just until you feel a change in cyl. head temp with your hand, next on just a bit longer so you feel a bit of warmth, third a bit warmer. You should not get it hot enough that it's uncomfortable to put you hand on the cylinder or head fins. Make sure it cools completely between cycles and don't give in to the urge to rap the throttle until it's got a better map. Have you checked the TTS website for maps? They have LOTS of them and I'd be surprised if your build wasn't covered.

Old 03-20-2011, 07:10 PM
gAZINTa-Delinquent

Read the instructions on this page, it has a PDF directory of available calibrations.

Last edited by jasilva; 03-20-2011 at 09:17 PM.
Old 03-20-2011, 07:34 PM
Double-D

Smart Dave recommended the PF176-002 as the startup map. This is about as close to a map as we saw in there to start off with.
Old 03-20-2011, 07:58 PM
gAZINTa-Delinquent

What's different about that build compared to yours?

Old 03-20-2011, 08:13 PM
Double-D

Me:
Injectors - Stock
Air Cleaner - Arlen Ness
Throttle Body - Stock
Cylinders - 3 7/8"
Pistons - 3 7/8" flat top
Heads - Stock
Cam - .625 lift, 244/246 duration
mufflers - slip on

PF176-002 config
4.9 G/S High flow injectors
Air cleaner and breather kit
50mm throttle body
cylinders - 3 7/8"
pistons - 3 7/8" HTCC 1690
heads - CNC Ported HTCC
cams - .609" lift, 263/269 Duration
Slip on mufflers

Last edited by why_me; 03-20-2011 at 08:30 PM. Reason: changed lift to duration in map description
Old 03-20-2011, 08:20 PM
gAZINTa-Delinquent

That seems a long way off from yours, you should look through the PDF and see if you can get closer. Might also call the cam manufacturer and see what they have, T Man and Headquarters both have maps if I recall.

Last edited by jasilva; 03-20-2011 at 09:15 PM.
Old 03-20-2011, 08:31 PM
Double-D

What flow are the stock injectors?
Old 03-20-2011, 09:14 PM
gAZINTa-Delinquent

Quote:
What flow are the stock injectors?
If you have the 27709-06A injectors(this is what the book shows for 07 A motors), they are rated at 3.91 but according to Doc flow about 15% more than that. Still along way from the 4.9 in that map. It's going to be really lean and get hot quick, bad for a new engine(any engine but especially a new one).

Old 03-20-2011, 09:25 PM
Double-D

Well...that's great news.
Old 03-20-2011, 10:40 PM
gAZINTa-Delinquent

Call Smart Dave and talk to him about it, he may have a reason for that map that isn't apparent just looking at the descriptions. Also call Doc and see what he says, he probably has a map you can get from him. You after thinking about it for a minute, if you change the injector size in Mastertune it should make the adjustments to injector pulse width to keep the correct fuel quantity.

Old 03-21-2011, 05:43 AM
Double-D

This may be the last time I build one of these myself. The emotional rollercoaster is overwhelming. Joy, fear, frustration, and that was just yesterday.